Logo
5/5

Call Us!

Cloth Insulated Wiring Replacement

Replacing Cloth Insulated Wiring In Your Home

Your home’s electrical wiring system needs to be perfect. If it has flaws or is outdated, your home is going to be at a greater risk of being destroyed by fire. Unfortunately, it was common for electricians to use cloth insulated wires before the 1950s. It seemed like a good idea at the time but electricians know better now. They realize that cloth insulated wiring is dangerous. This is further complicated by the fact that your home’s wiring is hidden behind drywall or paneling.

However, you can determine whether your home has cloth insulated wiring by opening your breaker panel. If you see a thin cloth wrapped around the wires, you have a big problem on your hands. Just remember that we’re here to help

What Are The Dangers Of Cloth Wiring?

Unfortunately, cloth-wrapped wiring can be very dangerous. This outdated practice is no longer used because it is unsafe. This type of wiring system is primarily found in homes that were built before 1960. With this wiring, the copper will be covered by cotton or rayon using paper or rubberized insulation. It is vital to understand that cloth will become brittle over a period. When this happens, the cloth will fall from the wire and that will lead the wire exposed. This is why cloth wiring is so dangerous.

What Makes Cloth Wiring Dangerous?

The most obvious reason that cloth wiring is dangerous is that cloth isn’t going to last forever. When it ages, it will become brittle. It is ineffective for this purpose. When the cloth gets old, it may fall from the wires and that will leave the wiring exposed. This is very dangerous because it increases the likelihood that someone is going to touch the wires. If they do, there is a chance that they’re going to get shocked. In addition to this, there is a greater chance that the wires are going to touch. That could lead to an electrical spark and a house fire.

Plus, you have to understand that cloth insulated wiring systems are not grounded sometimes. If the electrical system is not grounded, it can be very dangerous. Electrical systems are grounded so excess chargers can be transmitted to the grounded wire. If these electrical charges are sent to computers, refrigerators, or other appliances, there is a good chance that it will ruin them. Therefore, it is pertinent to make sure that your electrical system is properly grounded. This is the best way to reduce the risk of electrical shock while also protecting your appliances and electronics.

What Is The Best Solution?

The best way to fix this problem is by upgrading your electrical system. You cannot continue living in a home that has cloth insulated wiring because it is dangerous. To protect your family, home, and electronics, you need to upgrade as soon as possible. You can contact our Queens office to learn more about our electrical upgrading services. We can help you determine if your home has cloth-insulated wiring and we can remedy the problem.

Testimonials

We Accept:

Cloth Insulated Wring