Middle Village

Middle Village is a mainly residential area in the central part of the Borough of Queens, New York City. It is bordered in the northern region by the Long Island Expressway, to the east by Woodhaven Boulevard, to the south by Cooper Avenue, and the former LIRR Montauk Branch railroad tracks west of Mount Mount Olivet Cemetery. A small area of trapezoid shape, Mt. Olivet Crescent borders in the East, Fresh Pond Road to the west, Eliot Avenue to the north, and Metropolitan Avenue to the south and is commonly referred to in the category of Middle Village. Still, it is sometimes thought to be part of the nearby Ridgewood.

Elmhurst is one of the neighborhoods. Elmhurst borders middle Village in the northern part, Maspeth and Ridgewood towards the west. Glendale towards the south, along with Rego Park to the east. The housing in the neighborhood is primarily single-family homes, with attached houses and tiny apartments.

The area was first settled in 1816 by people of English origin. It was named in the early 19th century due to its position as the midpoint between the towns in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, and Jamaica, Queens, NYC, on the Williamsburgh and Jamaica Turnpike (now Metropolitan Avenue), which was inaugurated in 1816. The area was largely unpopulated due to the massive Juniper Swamp was there. The swamp, where Americans protected themselves from the British during the American Revolutionary War, was initially enclosed by the “Juniper Round Swamp Road.” In 1852 the Manhattan Lutheran church bought the farmland located on the western side of the Hamlet.


Metro Mall is a shopping mall located on Metropolitan Avenue in Queens just west of the subway station in the neighborhood. In 1920, the C.B. French Company, which made telephone booths for the American Telephone and Telegraph Company (now AT&T), built an office in the location of the Metro Mall. After the C.B., the French Company was acquired by the Turner-Armour Company, then bought through Western Electric Company. Western Electric Company Western Electric continued to run the plant and make phone booths in conjunction with AT&T. This plant eventually shut down by 1965. Then United Merchants and Manufacturers Inc. purchased the property and constructed an upscale mall with three floors in 1972. In the decade of 2010, it was reported that the Metro Mall suffered the same issues that many malls all over the United States did of the “retail apocalypse”; most of its tenants were gone, including K-Mart along with Toys R Us, leaving BJ’s Wholesale Club as the one remaining big retail store in 2019. Queens Electrician

The Frank T. Lang Building, located at Metropolitan Avenue and 69th Street, was completed in 1904. It was named in honor of Frank Lang, who built mausoleums and monuments. It was a building that offered mausoleums and monuments up to 1946 and used to include an “H.C. Bohack” gas station, which was run by the same person who was also the head of the Bohack grocery chain. The two-story art deco structure is noted for its imposing gargoyles and the finely chiseled face on its rooftop.

Check out other neighborhoods like Queens