Queens County Farm Museum Queens County Farm Museum, sometimes referred to as Queens Farm, is a historic farm situated across 47 acres (190,000 square meters) within the neighborhoods of Floral Park and Glen Oaks in Queens, New York City. The farm is the city’s most significant remaining piece of farmland that is unaffected (in operating since 1697) and remains an active farm. The farm has been restored and includes buildings dating to three different times and a greenhouse. It also has planting fields, livestock, and various instances of old farm equipment. Queens Farm practices sustainable agriculture and is a 4-season farming program.
The museum is home to its Adriance Farmhouse, a New York City Landmark on the National Register of Historic Places. Tours of the house are provided to the public on Saturdays and Sundays all year long. Hayrides are provided every weekend from April through October. A farm stand on-site during the season featuring Queens Farm vegetables, herbs, and blooms is open every Wednesday and the end of October, from May to September.
The Adriance family owned the farm privately, a Dutch family known the Adriances, from 1697 until 1808. The three-room farmhouse they built in 1772 has since been renovated and remains in use. In the years following 1808, several families resided on the farm, as it developed from a colonial homestead into an edgy “truck farming” or market gardening enterprise. The farm was owned by its final privately-owned farmer Daniel Sattel; it reached, in the year 1900, “the largest farm in the size of Queens County and the highest in terms of dollar value…assessed by the weight of 32,000 USD. In 1926 the States transferred the farm for an actual estate investment Pauline Reisman, who, in turn, later in that year, moved the farm to Creedmoor State Hospital, which utilized it for occupational therapy, to fill its kitchen, as well as to cultivate ornamental plants for the remainder of the hospital’s site. The year 1975 saw Frank Padavan draft state legislation to transfer farm ownership from the hospital to NYC Parks to start a museum. Queens Electrician
The Cornell Farmhouse was constructed in 1750 and had Dutch and English architectural details. The farmhouse is also referred to in The Creedmoor Farmhouse Complex or the Adriance Farmhouse. It’s part of the museum and is managed and owned by the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation (NYC Parks).
Queens Farm’s livestock is a reflection of the region’s rich agricultural heritage following colonization, where family homes once lined the landscape. Visitors today can tour the animals and learn about their vital role on the farm.
- Two steers (neutered male cattle; Dexter breed)
- Six sheep (Cotswold, Romney, and Cormo breeds)
- Eight goats (Nubian, Lamancha, and Saanen breeds)
- Two alpacas (Huacaya breed)
- Two pigs (Kunekune breed)
- 150-250 Hens between 150 and 250 (heritage or rare varieties; blue, brown as well as white eggs)
- Honeybees at the farm’s apiary
Address: 73-50 Little Neck Parkway, Queens, NY
Look into other neighborhoods, such as Queens Museum