Queens Botanical Garden is a botanical garden located at 43-50 Main Street in Flushing, Queens, New York City. Its 39-acre (16 ha) site has a bee, rose wedding, perennial gardens, an arboretum, an art gallery, and a green building certified by LEED. Visitor & Administration Building. Queens Botanical Garden is located on land owned by the City of New York and is supported by various private and public sources. Queens Botanical Garden Society, Inc operates it.
Queens Botanical Garden was created in 1939 as part of the New York World’s Fair and was initially situated near Corona-Flushing Meadows Park. It was relocated to its current site, a vacant area east of Flushing Meadows Park, in 1963 to prepare to host the 1964 New York World’s Fair. Since then, The Queens Botanical Garden has continued to grow, with programs specifically targeted toward the surrounding community. In 2001 it was in 2001 that the Queens Botanical Garden Society published an overall plan for redesigning the garden, focused on the garden’s position over a subterranean Kissena Creek. Several improvements were made over the following years, including constructing a new environmentally-friendly parking lot and administration building. Queens Electrician
In 1939, during the New York World’s Fair, which was held in the adjacent Flushing Meadows-Corona Park, later to become The Queens Botanical Garden eventually in Queens, NYC, was a garden exhibit at the fair named “Gardens on Parade,” which was operated under the direction of Hortus, Incorporated. The first gardens were west of the present location at the northeast corner of the fairgrounds at 131st Street Between Lawrence Street and the Flushing River, which lies in the direction of the upcoming Van Wyck Expressway.
The New York City Department of Sanitation garage on Dahlia Avenue was to the west of Main Street in the modern Queens Botanical Garden. In the 1950s, the garage was abandoned, and there were plans to remove it. A playground between Elder Avenue and 135th Street in the present Queens Botanical Garden was initially scheduled to be completed in March of 1957. But, as of March 11, there was only a comfortable station and lighting built, and the area needed significant filling before it could be developed. As per the Parks Department, the project was delayed because of bad weather conditions. The playground site served as a dumping ground and was covered with dirt following an application from the community. After three months, the garden was finally completed in June of 1957.
Kissena Creek initially ran under the present-day locations, which include Kissena Park, Kissena Corridor Park, and Queens Botanical Garden, before meeting Flushing Creek at what is today called the Fountain of Planets / Pool of Industry in Flushing Meadows. 1934 saw Kissena Creek was located in a culvert near the Main Street junction (then called Jagger Avenue) in a project to widen the street. The remainder of the river was submerged beneath the ground in the middle of the 20th century during Queens Botanical Gardens’ construction.
Look into other neighborhoods, such as Queens County Farm Museum